MetLife and Norges Bank Real Estate Management Joint Venture Purchases Constitution Square Three and Four in Washington, D.C.
Fifth Property Added to Joint Venture’s Growing Portfolio
NEW YORK, Sept. 22, 2016 – MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET) and Norges Bank Real Estate Management today announced that they have purchased the Constitution Square Three and Four office buildings in Washington, D.C. This is the second property investment in Washington, D.C., and the fifth overall for the joint venture, which was established in 2013.
MetLife and Norges Bank Real Estate Management bought the buildings from an affiliate of StonebridgeCarras. MetLife affiliates will own 52.5 percent of Constitution Square and be the managing member, while Norges Bank Real Estate Management will own the remaining 47.5 percent.
Located within the submarket of Washington, D.C., known as “NoMa,” for North of Massachusetts Avenue, Constitution Square Three is an existing 349,000 square foot Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum office building with street-level retail, and Constitution Square Four is a 493,000 to-be-constructed office tower that will target LEED Platinum certification. The combined office area of 839,000 square feet is leased to the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) for the Department of Justice.
“Constitution Square in Washington, D.C., represents the opportunity to add a high-quality, fully leased asset in a core market to our joint portfolio with Norges Bank Real Estate Management,” said Robert Merck, senior managing director and global head of real estate investments for MetLife. “Our continued partnership is built on a strategy of providing first-rate asset management and investing for the long-term to bring strong returns to our stakeholders.”
The four other properties in the joint venture’s portfolio are: One Financial Center in Boston; One Beacon St. in Boston; District Center at 555 12th St. NW in Washington, D.C.; and 425 Market St. in San Francisco.
MetLife, Inc. (NYSE: MET), through its subsidiaries and affiliates (“MetLife”), is one of the largest life insurance companies in the world. Founded in 1868, MetLife is a global provider of life insurance, annuities, employee benefits and asset management. Serving approximately 100 million customers, MetLife has operations in nearly 50 countries and holds leading market positions in the United States, Japan, Latin America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. For more information, visit www.metlife.com.
About Norges Bank Real Estate Management
Norges Bank Real Estate Management manages the unlisted real estate assets of the Norwegian Government Pension Fund Global. We work to safeguard and build financial wealth for future generations. As at 30 June 2016, the fund’s unlisted real estate investments were spread across 13 countries and had a market value of 221 billion kroner, equivalent to 26 billion USD. The Government Pension Fund Global is invested globally in equity, fixed income and real estate assets and managed assets worth 860 billion USD in total at the end of June 2016.