Celebrates Palm Springs by Showcasing Local Makers and Artisans in Store
“We have the opportunity to co-exist with local businesses in sustainable ways that supports local products and services as well as the city’s artists and designers.”
BROOKLYN, N.Y. August 25, 2016 –(BUSINESS WIRE)–Home furnishings retailer West Elm announced today it will open a new store in Palm Springs on Thursday, September 1 at 10 a.m. The 10,076 square-foot West Elm store is the anchor tenant of the Downtown Palm Springs Revitalization Project, bringing approximately 30 jobs to the area. Located on the ground floor at 201 N. Palm Canyon Drive, West Elm will be the first of several new retailers and restaurants expected to open in the new mixed-used development downtown. As part of West Elm’s LOCAL program, products from 15 California-based makers and designers will be featured with the brand’s fall assortment of modern furnishings and décor.
“Palm Springs has long been an inspiration to us at West Elm — from its design and architecture to its signature modern sensibility,” said West Elm president Jim Brett. “Opening our store downtown is just the beginning of our commitment to honoring the city’s heritage as the epicenter of Mid-century modern design and contributing to the vibrancy of Downtown Palm Springs.”
Guided by downtown’s historic architecture, West Elm incorporated influences from the golden era of modernism into the store’s unique details such as the exterior mix of glass and metal framed to complement downtown’s neighboring shops and natural surroundings. At its customer checkout, West Elm partnered with local artisan Ken Mason of Long Beach, CA to create an art installation employing handcrafted ceramic tiles arranged in abstract and asymmetrical configurations. The interior design utilizes natural materials throughout the store including reclaimed and salvaged wood for the ceiling.
“It is our hope to promote economic growth for this very special community,” said the store’s general manager, Wyndal Chapital. “We have the opportunity to co-exist with local businesses in sustainable ways that supports local products and services as well as the city’s artists and designers.”
To celebrate the opening, West Elm has partnered with Palm Springs-based artist Amanda Mills Design to design an exclusive tote bag that will be presented to the first 300 shoppers with a $50 minimum purchase. Additional store opening activities include a sweepstakes* offering local customers a chance to win a $2,000 gift card and an invitation to a private pre-opening celebration on Wednesday, August 31 from 6 p.m.- 8 p.m. to benefit Palm Springs Animal Shelter, whose mission is to build a community responsible for pet stewardship and humane treatment of animals.
A selection of locally made products by 15 California-based makers and artisans will be available as part of the West Elm Palm Springs LOCAL assortment including:
- Amanda Mills Design: Palm Springs-inspired illustrator and letterer with punchy colors
- BKB Ceramics: A rustic modern ceramicist from Joshua Tree
- Cardtorial: Los Angeles maker of laser cut wood prints and albums
- Concrete Geometric: Geometric concrete vases made in Sylmar, California
- Dear Doggy: Dapper pet bow ties made in Los Angeles
- Eric Trine: Steel geometric furniture in powder-coated finishes made in Long Beach, California
- Etta + Billie: Sustainable handmade cold-process soaps from San Francisco
- Katie Gong Design: San Francisco-based maker of natural wood side tables
- Jikits: Whimsical modern mobiles from printmaker and sculptor Kim Baise in Los Angeles
- Marley and Alfie: Decorative horseshoes adorned in vibrant colors and lush textures
- M.F.E.O.: Los Angeles-based woodworkers making planters and wall shelves
- Miriam Dema: A Los Angeles artist creating vintage inspired pennants with a California theme
- Omni Butcher Blocks: California-shaped cutting boards made outside of San Diego
- Pei Design: Playfully illustrated greeting cards made in Pasadena
- XIO Design Studio: Decorative panels made by an Argentinian woodworker living in Joshua Tree
For up-to-date information on in-store promotions and events, customers are encouraged to Like the West Elm Palm Springs store on Facebook: www.facebook.com/westelmpalmsprings and follow the store on Instagram: @westelmpalmsprings. West Elm Palm Springs is open Monday-Saturday 10 a.m. – 8 p.m. and Sunday 11 a.m.- 6 p.m. The store’s address is 201 N. Palm Canyon Dr., Palm Springs, CA 92262 and the phone number is (760) 322-1359.
*Open only to residents that live within the Palm Springs, CA area. Official rules of the sweepstakes can be found on the Palm Springs sweepstakes page.
About West Elm
Headquartered in Brooklyn, NY since 2002, West Elm opened its first store in DUMBO, the neighborhood it still proudly calls home. With the mission of helping customers express their personal style at home, everything West Elm does is designed to make an impact in everyday life, from creating unique, affordable designs for modern living, to its commitment to Fair Trade Certified, LOCAL and handcrafted products, and community-driven in-store events and collaborations. The brand operates 100 retail stores in the United States, Australia, Canada and the UK, ships internationally to customers around the world and operates stores in Mexico, the Middle East and Philippines through unaffiliated franchisees. In addition to home furnishings retail, West Elm operates West Elm Workspace with Inscape in the commercial furnishings industry. West Elm is part of an active community on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, Twitter and YouTube, and is a member of the Williams-Sonoma, Inc. portfolio of brands.
SOURCE: Williams-Sonoma Inc.