A Page From the Kontos Cookbook … Mother’s Day Brunch: Raspberry Orange French Toast Cups
Paterson, N.J. – May 3, 2016 – Whether you’re planning an intimate breakfast for Mother’s Day or inviting the whole gang over for a big family brunch, try treating the moms in your life to an extra-special dish: Raspberry Orange Baked French Toast Cups.
Kontos Foods, maker of artisan flatbreads and other ethnic foods, suggests using Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads – delicious mini Pita breads – to make this elegant and delicious treat. In addition to the mini Flatbreads, the French Toast Cups feature fresh raspberries, grated orange rind, fresh eggs and other wholesome ingredients.
Here are the easy steps to surprise your mom, wife, grandmother and all the special women in your life.
1 pkg. (5.2 oz.) Kontos Cocktail Flatbread (20 pieces)
1/4 cup seedless raspberry preserves
1 tbsp. butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 cup half-and-half
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated orange rind
1 tbsp. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Instructions: Serves 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread 10 Cocktail Flatbreads with raspberry preserves and top with remaining flatbreads to make little sandwiches.
- Generously coat 5 (7- to 8-oz.) ramekins (a small glazed ceramic or glass bowl) with butter and place on baking sheet. Arrange two sandwiches and 3 to 4 raspberries in each ramekin.
- Beat eggs in small bowl with whisk until frothy. Whisk in half-and-half, vanilla and orange rind. Divide egg mixture among ramekins.
- Using a fork, gently press flatbread sandwiches into egg mixture. Let stand 10 minutes, pressing sandwiches into egg mixture 4 or 5 times.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and set in center.
- Sprinkle with combined sugar-cinnamon mixture and garnish with mint leaf. Serve warm with raspberries, whipped butter and maple syrup.
“This warm, delicious Baked French Toast is an elegant treat for Mother’s Day. The individually baked cups are fun and simple to make, so you can even get young children involved in preparation of Mom’s special meal,” said Steve Kontos, vice president and owner of Kontos Foods.
Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads, which contain no trans-fat and are 100% vegetarian, come in 20-piece retail packs. Kontos Cocktail Flatbreads are versatile – in addition to French Toast, they can be used as the basis for a simple appetizer for a family gathering or as part of an elegant spread of hors d’oeuvres at a wedding reception. Not just a substitute for crackers, they can be warmed or lightly toasted for use right out of the package.
Kontos sells its products to retailers and foodservice establishments across North America and around the world. Find Kontos Foods on Twitter @KontosFoods, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/Kontosfoods and on Pinterest at https://www.pinterest.com/kontosfoods/.
About Kontos Foods
Founded in 1987, Kontos Foods, Inc. is a Paterson, New Jersey-based provider of traditional Mediterranean foods for restaurants, hotels, food service, retail specialty stores and supermarkets worldwide. The family-owned company specializes in hand-stretched flatbreads, including the Kontos Pocket-Less Pita®, Fillo dough, pastries, olives, gyro meats, and Greek yogurts, as well as nearly 50 varieties of multi-ethnic flatbreads. Kontos, which has over 225 employees and was founded by Evripides (Evris) Kontos with his son Steven, together bring over 100 years’ experience in the premium food industry. The company’s bread and Fillo products are made in the USA. Visit www.kontos.com or call (973) 278-2800.
SOURCE: Kontos Foods